What I watched
- The total solar eclipse. Totality wasn’t visible in Texas this time so I watched it live online.
- City of dreams. Tim Kellner’s cinematography is brilliant.
- The Hitman’s Bodyguard. Silly but fun. 2.6/5.
- Houston flood due to Hurricane Harvey.
What I’m reading
- Becoming Wise: An Inquiry into the Mystery and Art of Living. I found this book on Farnam Street and recognized the author from her popular podcast, On Being. Thought-provoking book filled with timeless wisdom. Krista Tippet is a master of words.
What I’m listening to
- The Stranger Things Soundtrack
- Mylo Xyloto by Coldplay
- Walking on a Dream by Empire of the Sun
- Death with Dignity by Sufjan Stevens
What I’m thinking about
- How to get “in the zone” more often. The phrase “in the zone” means a period of intense productivity. I’ve been trying to control my environment to trigger the zone:
- Turn off all unnecessary lights. I use two desk lamps to illuminate what I need to pay attention to.
- Play an instrumental song on repeat. Use headphones.
- Drink water. It helps to have a bottle within arms reach.
- Put smartphone on airplane mode or away from arms reach.
- Turn on a social media site blocker (like Stayfocusd).
- Close all unnecessary apps.
- If it doesn’t work, do a deep breathing exercise and try again.
- If it doesn’t work, take a shower and try again.
- If it doesn’t work, play soccer and try again.
What I made
- Photos. Lots of photos. One even made the front page of Reddit. That was pretty neat.